Tuesday, June 1, 2010

"What Works in Education"- they're preaching to the choir!

Had to use this cartoon I found....
Watched the video on Edutopia, Transformed by Technology: High Tech High Overview | Edutopia and heard a few great quotes I gotta share! (my poor teachers at my school are going to hate me before this is over!)
At this school "thoughtfully applied technology is transforming public education." Thoughtfully applied......

"Assessment is not an endpoint, it is ongoing, moment to moment, teachers are constantly checking for understanding, asking them to describe what they are working on, what they've discovered, what their plan is for the next day. Assessemnt is folded in." Folded in..........

There are no finals here. Instead they do POL's: Presentation of Learning, where they stand up in front of the class & teachers, using a presentation tool, describing what they learned, how it can be applied to the real world, how they've developed their critical thinking, etc. No finals...........

WOW.

2 comments:

  1. OH! I LOVE the term Presentation of Learning! This is a gem! I am definitely going to keep this one in mind as I design finals for next year. Thanks for your posting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa, thank you so much for sharing this video. Knowing that schools like this our available to youth gives me hope for your country because we have to start thinking out of the box if we want to compete on a global spectrum. I'm a bit envious that I'm not attending this type of school! One of my favorite quotes from this video is 'we want students behaving like scientist...photographers...artist.' I could not agree more.

    ReplyDelete